Monday, 21 November 2011

Minimalist Monday

In the three weeks since I posted on Minimalism in our house the paced slowed a bit, but we are still on track.  Now that I have the idea, it's always on my mind.  I now would like to be at that day that our house is less cluttered, more open, has a lot less stuff in it, but for now we are on this journey.  I do struggle with getting rid of stuff, all those magazine articles I kept for a number of reasons, the Bible study books that I got from someone, diaries since 1985, trinkets, etc.

The rhythm of my days is something like this:
Yesterday I kept it
Today it irritated me, so I got rid of it
Tomorrow I need it / want it back
And the day after that I'm over it

So...
 I'm giving myself time,
room to grow
on this journey,
this way of life.

Books: 
I have filled two crates with books to get rid of.  I'm also back on BookCrossing and will set a lot of books free into the wild in the next couple of months.

Kitchen:
Moving all the plastic containers to the bottom shelf did not work.  It would be to difficult to reach in the corner cupboard.  This means we still have a very small cupboard for all our food.  The only solution I have is to get rid of the tumble dryer and get a loose cupboard for that space.  While our electricity bill in winter would be lower :-), we will have to look at another way of drying our clothes during the winter months.

More help in Minimalism:
I have decided to join the 29 days Giving Challenge after reading a friend's blog.  I'm looking forward to the task of finding "new owners" for things in our house.  I envisage that I might look at a ornament and pray to God asking whom will I give it to.  Or when a name comes to mind, ask God what I can give that person.

It might be:
* prayer time
* my time as service
* a gift from my home
* money
* telephone call, a visit, a letter / e-mail
* or maybe just a smile and a hug

No comments:

Post a Comment